For those of you who missed the Legal Marketing Association meeting in Atlanta, here is the list of first place winners in the 2007 LMA Your Honor Awards. Congratulations and mazeltov to all the winners!
1. Identity: Goulston Storrs for their "Gateway to China" campaign. The firm achieved its objective to position itself as the go-to law firm for middle market New England region companies seeking to do business in China, and also for VC/private equity firms seeking to invest in China. This was accomplished with a China section on its website in Chinese and English (Verndale), creative for its advertising campaign, including a post card and green tea tins to clients (Hermann Design Group), PR consulting (Elizabeth Lampert), and client and staff give-aways (Grossman Marketing).
2. Firmwide brochure: Mayer Brown for their "Retrospective" collection of client successes. Created by former Marketing Director Jonathan Asperger and X-15 Creative. The marketing concept was to present engaging stories about successful cases from the client's point of view. The result is a strikingly illustrated and deftly-written storybook recounting numerous tales. See their 2003 award winning version.
3. Annual Reports: Heller Ehrman for their "11 true stories about our client successes" piece. The firm won a Your Honor for a similar concept last year.
4. Announcements: Meyers Nave for their 30th anniversary reception invitation (see illustration at right). The cardboard invitation folded down into a stereopticon (old-fashioned 3D viewer) that displayed current and historic scenes in Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco and Santa Rosa, where the firm has offices. Click here to see it full size in a PDF file.
5. Newsletter: Squire Sanders & Dempsey for their outreach piece in an oversized newspaper layout, profiling its litigation practice. The piece targeted a readership with vested interests in business litigation including American Corporate Counsel members and Fortune 1000 general counsel.
6. Other: Steptoe & Johnson for their "West Virginia First" handheld booklet promoting the "Mountain State," designed by the Arnold Agency.
7. Single Advertisement: Fisher & Phillips, a labor law firm with 18 offices nationwide, for their ad featuring the ghost of a former employee, "You fired her a year ago. Now she's come back to haunt you." To see a full-size PDF file of the ad, click here.
8. Advertising Campaign: Blake Cassels and Graydon for their French language ad.
9. Multimedia: Holland & Hart, for their noted in-flight video broadcasts on Frontier Airlines.
10. Trade Show Exhibit Novelties (formerly the "gimmie" award): Blake Cassels and Briggs - for their booth designed by Greenfield Belser for the Association of Corporate Counsel conference.
11. Promotional events: Bradley Arant Rose & White, for a promotion designed by Greenfield Belser.
12. Web sites: Godwin Pappas Langley Ronquillo of Dallas for their "We solve the problem" home page Flash video. http://www.godwinpappas.com/
13. Recruiting Web page: Morrison & Foerster: http://www.mofo.com/career/index.html
14. Alumni Web page: Goodwin Procter. https://www.goodwinprocteralumni.com
15. Electronic media: Harris Beach, with offices in New York and News Jersey, for their 150th anniversary interactive CD.
16. Media Relations: Sutherland Asbill & Brennan for PowerPlay, an interactive dance and nutrition program at the Grady Hospital Teen Clinic.
17. Community Relations: Stroock & Stroock & Lavan.
18. Internal communications: Patton Boggs for their weekly "Power Plays" and First Annual Success Party (at which they presented the Power Player Awards), which served as ways of recognizing those within the firm who consistently demonstrated a commitment to specific client service principles. (See illustration at right.)
19. Training: Fredrikson & Bryon for their "Fred Knows" program.
20. Marketing Research: Holland and Hart for their business class in-flight TV program on Frontier Airlines.
21. Recruiting: Paul Weiss Rifkind for their "What it takes to be a great lawyer and have a great career" program.
22. Best in Show: Heller Ehrman's annual report, "11 True Stories about our Clients."